Sunday, March 25, 2007

Frank Pong talks about the America's Cup

[Source: China Team] Frank Pong, a well-known sailor in Asia, former commodore of the Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club, owner-skipper of offshore sailboats and Honorary Chairman of China Team has arrived in Valencia where he has installed himself for the duration of the Cup. An interview with a passionate person, with a sparkling glance, always changing … especially when the subject is about sailing adventures and boats!

You have just arrived in Valencia, what are your impressions?
First of all I was surprised by the weather here. It was pleasant and a very clear sky… but after a day here, I saw there was a price to pay. It is the dust. It is an orange dust, which infiltrates everything. Then I came to the America’s Cup village. It is the first time I have seen the site. It is truly a fantastic area, with beautiful infrastructures; the bases perfect in order to work, each one having its small personal touch. The China Team base seemed spectacular to me, simple but fabricated with beautiful materials.

It is the first time you have been on Longtze…
Yes and the first time I have seen a America’s Cup Class. What struck me is that it seemed small…

Small?
Yes in a certain way, above all being narrow with respect to Maxis that I am used to helming, but very stable on the other hand.

You have arrived for a certain duration in Valencia, what are your plans?
I have taken the month of March, April, and May to live within the team, I have planned to stay as long as we are in the game and that there will be something to do.

When you see the big teams around, what is it that inspires you?
That is a good question because a couple of days ago, a well-known sailor of the Cup, said that there were 5 or 6 small teams present here who should retire "gracefully". When I read that, I was very disappointed and when I arrived, I saw that the comment was perfectly out of place. Because the America’s Cup is a business or more exactly show business. And in show business you have the stars but for there truly to be a "show" you need the "supporting cast". If not, it isn't a spectacle. It is the same in the Formula 1. In the world there are three big teams, which are Ferrari, Renault, and Mc Laren. Do you think you can have a Grand Prix with only three big teams? Think about all the small teams, which make up a grand prix and that should retire with grace…. At least they allow the big teams to shine…

I would like to add something more, which seems important to me. For me, a true champion is not only someone who wins; it is also someone who should have a certain "grace". A great sailor who makes these types of comments for me is not the champion he is made out to be.

Any specific words about the China Team?
Yes I have something important to say about the team. China Team is the only team that trains onboard, the young sailors of the country it represents. On board, there are young upcoming Chinese sailors of the future. And who knows if in one or two America’s Cup editions China Team won’t be one of the three big teams.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 3:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I would like to add something more, which seems important to me. For me, a true champion is not only someone who wins; it is also someone who should have a certain "grace". A great sailor who makes these types of comments for me is not the champion he is made out to be."-Frank Pong

FINALLY SOME SMACK TALK!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home