Saturday, May 05, 2007

Louis Vuitton Cup - Round Robin 2 - Day 7: Preview

Update 10:40am: Victory Challenge's request for a hearing was denied by the jury. As a result, the racing schedule for today doesn't change, if of course the weather allows it to take place.

Good morning from sunny Valencia. Unfortunately, tourists might like this sunny weekend but sailors will be probably looking for more wind given the light forecasts for today.

After Friday's close race against Luna Rossa, BMW Oracle are now at the top of the leaderboard, tied with the Italians but with one match less. The Kiwis, with 15 matches as well, are now one point behind them and as a result the race for the top spot is still open and any outcome is possible, especially if gear failure takes place. At least these three teams are guaranteed to continue staying in Valencia, even if for a couple of weeks, after May 9.

Where the fight gets extremely close is a step down the table, at fourth place. Desafío Español is now just a point ahead of Victory Challenge but with two matches less. The controversial race between the Spanish team and Mascalzone Capitalia, where the Italians were found in breach of the rules, will be repeated this afternoon and will certainly be the key of the race for the fourth slot. Both teams must win it, especially the Italians.

Victory Challenge, fearing a Spanish win, filed this morning a protest to the jury, requesting the reopening of the case of Mascalzone Capitalia. The protest will be heard at 10am and at the time we are writing this (9:30am) we are not aware of the details. Maybe the Swedes discovered that Mascalzone committed the same infraction a number of times, but this is only a speculation.

It will be an interesting day. As one radio commentator said, in the America's Cup there is no second but in the Louis Vuitton Cup there is no fifth!!

Louis Vuitton Leaderboard after Round Robin 2 - Flight 6Note: The table does NOT include the match Desafío Español - Mascalzone Capitalia, scheduled to be repeated today.

Weather forecast
We shouldn't be cheering when the event organizers expect lighter conditions today, in what will be a dry day with less clouds than yesterday. We also return to the pattern of the previous days when a northerly gradient and the sea breeze fight each other out. A light northerly gradient will make the development of a sea breeze more of a struggle. Wind is expected to start northerly 5 knots then veer to east as sea breeze develops 6-9 knots. Cumulus cloud will be developing inland. The day is expected to be dry.

Racing Schedule Flight 7
Emirates Team NZ - United Internet Team Germany
China Team - Mascalzone Capitalia
Shosholoza - Desafío Español
Areva - BMW Oracle
+39 Challenge - Luna Rossa

Racing Schedule Flight 4
Mascalzone Capitalia - Desafío Español



Post a Comment

<< Home