Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Major breakthrough in the America's Cup stalemate to take place tonight

There has been a breaking news concerning a major development to take place today that might signal the end of the long battle that is putting a break on the America's Cup.

According to very reliable information we have received, there is a designer meeting to take place later this afternoon in Valencia where Alinghi will let the other 5 challengers (Desafío Español, United Internet Team Germany, Shosholoza, Emirates Team New Zealand and Team Origin) decide upon a key parameter of the design of the new class. The meeting is organized by the Challenger of Record, Desafío Español, and from what we understand, BMW Oracle and Mascalzone Latino have also been invited to attend as simple observers.

We got in contact with America's Cup Management (ACM), in order to verify whether Alinghi has made such a proposal. First of all, Michel Hodara, CEO of ACM, denied there was any kind of agreement between them and BMW Oracle as was speculated lately. On the other hand, he added, Alinghi has made a concrete offer to show they haven't advanced in the design of the new boat and try to lift the last point of resistance of BMW Oracle. It will be up to the 5 challengers to decide that key parameter and BMW Oracle will also have the right to access to that information.

We also contacted to Jason Ker, designer of United Internet Team Germany, in order to know whether this parameter is important and verify to what extent Alinghi are willing to give any advantage (if they have any) away. According to Ker, this parameter is "fundamental" for the design of the new boat. If a team is at an early stage in its design process any modification in that parameter doesn't make all that difference. On the other hand, if a team has advanced to the extent Alinghi was alleged or supposed to have advanced, then they would have to start all over again.

According to Ker, this shows that Alinghi hasn't advanced in the design of their new boat and even if they had they are prepared to give it away.

The ball is now in BMW Oracle's court. All we have to see now is whether this will convince the Americans that the defender has little, if any, headstart over the rest of the current and potential challengers. It appears that was the major fear of the team headed by Russell Coutts.

PS: It seems that our Spanish colleague Pedro Sardina had some of his information correct last week. Today is October 10th and an extremely decisive meeting, that might lead to a deal, is to take place.

Labels: , ,


At 9:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sardina's rumors... C-R-A-P

Brad Butterworth

At 8:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where is "News"? It's 11th October today. Nothing.
Journalist, you? Check your stool-pigeon

At 6:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, what happened with the Major breakthrough...?

You already censured a previous post, but I will said it again...

Bull Shit!!!

MR. Pierre, it's not the first time you got burned for spreading false rumors, and I thought you have learned by now. Never believe something that somebody tell you (specially when it comes from a Spanish news person) without confirming from another impartial and different source. It's one of the most important rules in journalism.


Post a Comment

<< Home