Thursday, December 13, 2007

Alinghi/SNG change lawyers in New York, plan to appeal

Update: We have been contacted by Alinghi and received the official comment on the article:

"We confirm that we have hired a new firm of lawyers in New York, with the revision of the Deed of Gift in mind, and we are still considering all options as we still haven't received the court order".


According to an article that appeared in today's El Mundo, Alinghi/SNG changed their lawyers in New York. According to information from the court, the new lawyers representing the Defender of the America's Cup is the firm Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP (STB).

That news could have passed unnoticed if it weren't for the imminent (always according to the El Mundo newspaper) presentation by STB of an appeal to Justice Cahn's decision.

It also seems that our information last week that the CNEV was preparing an appeal were indeed correct.

We will publish more news as soon as we get it.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 2:22 PM, Anonymous Brian said...

CNEV will not appeal, that is for sure. After yesterday's weird press release published by Desafío Español, it seems certain.

So, the Million-buck question here is what can Bertarelli loose if he appeals?.

Nothing. Zero.

He'd lost, many weeks ago, the PR-communication war. He is not ruling any big-shot worldwide company anymore. He has enough wealth for retiring his children and his grand-children. And by appealing he's buying what he doesn't have: TIME!

Don't tell him about hundreds of people loosing their jobs, teams being dismantled, sponsors running away or the Cup's image being destroyed for the next decade. Simply, he doesn't care. As the way he sees it, it's not his problem anymore.

Ben-Bertaladen has his own vision of the Cup (or, should I say, of the world?) and he wants to accomplish it. No matter at what cost.

 
At 4:19 PM, Anonymous mike said...

it appears that you might be correct, Brian. which is a pity. I loved the guy for what he has made in and for Valencia (sure the Valencia government pushed and paid for it, but EB was the one who chose the venue), but I am starting to loose the goodwill this guy had...an appeal is going to damage the Cup more than anything....a disaster...let's hope for the best (still)

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger christopher said...

Earnesto. bertarelli as captain, William Bligh.

 
At 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alinghi just can't tell the truth. They are saying that they have hired new team of lawyers keeping change in terms of deed in mind. Thats all crap. Is there anybody who believes this. Every day, in the past few months they have been turning and twisting their statments.Now it is too obvious a game. In all probablity they are going for an appeal and consequently delay the cup. They have no respect for any of the challengers. The first change in the AC deed should be incorporated barring Ernesto from participating in the cup for life time. That will be the best tribute to the founder of the cup.

 
At 3:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

let's try asking backwards:
perhaps he just wants to get rid of ellison? what on the other side makes ellison responsible for bertarellis decision?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home