Nineteen teams entered to race for the 33rd America’s Cup in 2010
[Source: Alinghi] AC Management today announced the entry list for the 33rd America’s Cup that includes 19 teams, eight of which are new entries. All of the 32nd America’s Cup challengers have re-entered, bar one.
Aside from the Defender, Alinghi and the Challenger of Record, Desafío Español, a total of 21 teams presented a Notice of Entry and 17 were accepted. Three of the entered teams are pending minor details towards their official registration and have been granted an extension until January 15. Three other teams were denied entry as no further documentation beyond the Notice of Entry was received by the December 15 entry deadline. Carbon Challenge has withdrawn.
Video motion of the 33rd America's Cup entry list. Valencia, 18 December 2008. Video copyright Alinghi
The teams have been working together over the past few months at regular Competitor Meetings to amend the 33rd America’s Cup Protocol and to design the new class rule; this process is ongoing and will continue into the New Year with further meetings planned and a publication date for the class rule scheduled for the end of January.
The 33rd America’s Cup schedule is for two pre-regattas in Valencia in 2009, the first in July and the second in October, plus the Club Náutico Español de Vela annual regatta in November, followed by an America’s Cup Match in 2010.
Brad Butterworth, Alinghi team skipper, comments on a very exciting fleet: “Having 19 teams from 12 countries entered for the 33rd America’s Cup is a clear expression of the huge worldwide interest in the competition. It’s fantastic to see such an international fleet with newcomers such as Russia. It is also significant that all but one of the teams from the previous edition have entered again. We will continue to work together with these challengers to make the 33rd America’s Cup a success, regardless of BMW Oracle’s decision to pursue their legal strategy to eliminate all challengers and force their way into an America’s Cup Match, something they have never achieved on the water.”
33rd America’s Cup teams (in order of entry):
1. Alinghi, Société Nautique de Genève (SUI) – Defender
2. Desafío Español, Club Náutico Español de Vela (ESP) – Challenger of Record
3. Shosholoza, Royal Cape Yacht Club (RSA)
4. TeamOrigin, Royal Thames Yacht Club (GBR)
5. Team New Zealand, Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron (NZL)
6. DCYC, Deutscher Challenger Yacht Club (GER)
7. Green Comm Challenge, Circolo di Vela Gargano (ITA)
8. Ayre Challenge, Real Club Náutico de Dénia (ESP)
9. Victory Challenge, Gamla Stans Yacht Skallskap (SWE)
10. Argo Challenge, Club Nautico Gaeta (ITA)
11. Mascalzone Latino, Reale Yacht Club Canottieri Savoia (ITA)
12. Team French Spirit, Yacht Club de St Tropez (FRA)
13. Luna Rossa, Yacht Club Punta Ala (ITA)
14. Russia Team - Fiona, Yacht Club Seven Feet (RUS)
15. Joe Fly, Società Canottieri Lecco (ITA)
16. K-Challenge, Cercle de la Voile de Paris (FRA)
17. Greek Challenge, N.O.K. Poseidon - Nautical Club of Kalamata (GRC)
18. Dabliu Sail Project (ITA)
19. China Team, Qingdao International Yacht Club (CHN)