Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Circolo Vela Gargnano sends another letter to GGYC

Related PDF files- Circolo Vela Gargnano writes to GGYC, 27 May 2009

Marcus Young Commodore
Golden Gate Yacht Club 1 Yacht Road
San Francisco, California 94123
May 27, 2009

Dear Mr. Young,
Thank you for your letter of May 26.

We have duly noted its content and the reasons which, in your opinion, do not allow a multiple challenger event to take place, namely, the purported lack of the Defender’s interest and your worries about further delays.

For the sake of clarity let us first state that we never claimed that you have “an obligation” to consider other challengers under the Deed of Gift.

Actually we only stated that, in your capacity as the Challenger of Record, it is within the fiduciary duties of your role to address the issue of how to organize the Challengers’ selection and that we would therefore expect you to protect our interests by doing so.

As to the merits, it would be improper for us to discuss the grounds of your litigation with SNG which has not involved our Yacht Club.

We are however very pleased to acknowledge that the issue of the Defender’s interest and consent to a multiple challenger Cup in multi-hulls, which you have qualified in your letter, as being a “prerequisite for having multiple challengers” has, beyond any doubt, now been successfully overcome.

In fact in its letter of May 26 addressed to the Golden Gate Yacht Club, SNG actually indicates that: “SNG continues to urge you to allow other interested challengers to compete in a challenger selection series prior to the Match which at this stage will be held under the terms of the Deed… if for your own competitive reasons, you wish to maintain the present match schedule, the challenger series can be held beforehand. SNG remains happy to continue with the present scheduled date of the Match. SNG has been advised by several interested challengers they will be ready to compete in a challenger series with the Match as presently scheduled”.

Moreover, in its letter of May 26 addressed to our Yacht Club, SNG plainly represents that: ” SNG is continuing to encourage GGYC to accept SNG’s offer to give you and any ohter interested challenger, the opportunity to compete in the 33 America’s Cup”.

The above is quite self explanatory, and we believe it fully satisfies the prerequisite argument which you have correctly raised.

As to the second issue you raised, it is quite clear from our previous correspondence that we were and still are perfectly happy to meet the February deadline so as to keep the present match schedule you have set for the challenge with the Defender. It would actually be improper for us to seek to delay this match which, according to your own words “should have taken place in July 2008″.

Challengers series can indeed be held beforehand at your convenience.

We assume and trust that all of the above removes the conditions, the prerequisite, the objections and the worries you raised in your letter and that, consistently with your previous attitude, you would now be prepared to discuss the organization of the multiple challenger event without further delay.

On this regard we are prepared to meet at your earliest convenience.

We look forward to hearing from you


Lorenzo Rizzardi
Circolo Vela Gargnano

Labels: , , ,


At 11:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clever letter and clever move by CVG.
And now it is up o GGYC to show the world if they keep their word !!

At 12:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

11:46 PM Not quite -

'The Deed states that '…when a challenge from a club fulfilling all the conditions required by this instrument has been received, no other challenge can be considered [by the Defender] until the pending event has been decided.'

No need to correspond w/ CVG anymore.

At 3:31 AM, Anonymous Norberto said...

GGYC keepin their word???????? ARE YOU KIDDING ?????????

At 6:05 PM, Anonymous WetHog said...

How can BMWO keep its word when Alinghi will not talk through details of a multi-hull challenge in monohulls? Some are stating that if CVG isn't included BMWO is a liar? Well from the beginning when BMWO submitted their challenge papers they have said they wanted to negotiate an AC32 style multi-challenge event in monohulls. The 90x90 challenge boat is a last resort. Well it would appear we have reached that.

As for Alinghi, they are the ones that left 18 challengers high and dry. Once BMWO was named COR both sides could of worked out a protocol that could of kept the 18 challengers involved. Alinghi rejected that before discussion could be held and said they want a match in multi's. Well they are getting their wish, but unless Alinghi holds a Defender trial with multiple teams competing to be the Defender, how can Alinghi "suggest" BMWO hold a CSS? If Alinghi things its a good idea for BMWO to hold a CSS, then Alinghi should also open up their side to all Swiss teams that might be eager to defend the Cup as well. Right?

And I just read that it will be announced soon that the new Iberdola team is leaving the AC for the Volvo. Can't say I blame them, especially with the next 3 Volvo's starting in Spain. Much better return on Iberdola's investment.

At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poodle hog. you are so full of SH*".

At 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

3:20 PM - You're wrong mate. Go read all the newspapers & court docs & you will find that SNG put 18 teams on the beach. Wasn't GGYC.

Now it's a DoG match & there is no CSS. Never been done in a DoG & not going to happen in this one either. Btw CVG won't even push the CSS in court as it was tried by Blue Arrow & they lost in court.

It's more SNG BS to the uninformed like you. That's all so get informed.

At 7:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your still full of sh*" though.


Post a Comment

<< Home