Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Société Nautique de Genève update on current America's Cup situation

Related PDF file- Update from Société Nautique de Genève (in french), 18 May 2009

[Source: Société Nautique de Genève] Dear Members of the Société Nautique de Genève,

Please find hereby below an update on the America's Cup judicial situation following the decisions taken by the Supreme Court in New York on Thursday, May 14.

1. The match date must be set within the framework of a mediation that must also take into consideration the possibility of Circolo Vela Gargnano challenging us alongside the Golden Gate Yacht Club. If the match date cannot be set through mediation, the 33rd America's Cup match must take place in February 2010.

2. The match date prevails over the venue of the match, which means that the regatta date in February 2010 doesn't oblige your club to defend the America's Cup in the southern hemisphere, as required by the Deed of Gift though. The choice of the venue is within the Defender's province and as a result of your club's.

3. The GGYC must present its Customs Certificate as soon as possible or might be disqualified. According to the Court, the GGYC was hidden behind the notion "as soon as possible" during almost a year, which is unacceptable, but more importantly, the judge has confirmed that their Customs Certificate must correspond exactly to the boat measurements described in the notice of Challenge of July 2007, that is a boat 90 feet by 90 feet.

All these constitute great news for SNG and Alinghi.

We are currently studying various venues that are likely to host the 33rd America's Cup, but we don't have the obligation to reveal it to GGYC up to 6 months before the competition, that is early August at the earliest...so patience...

While waiting for the result of mediation, Alinghi will keep on working flat out in order to be ready to defend the America's Cup in February 2010.

Timing is tight, but we will be ready and we still plan to launch our big multihull during summer on Lake Léman for the first tests and sails.

We are happy to be able to keep going forward and we will keep training until then on the lake on Decision 35's. Next stage, Grand Prix de Rolle, next May 23 and 24. Hoping to bump into you offshore or ashore and nice season to all of you,

Your Alinghi team.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 12:31 AM, Anonymous Ivan said...

What is new to Alinghi? That the BMw boat is 90 to 90 feets? Can I fing some more explanation on Alinghi's position?
Ivan
Ukraine

 
At 12:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading the latest from SNG -

1. MC w/ CVG not going to happen so SNG gets more time. If SNG wants a MC they could ask for a traditional MC in monos as there are 18-20 team waiting for SNG to do the right thing. Look for CVG to go to court as a poodle to get SNG more time. The court will not entertain CVG.

2. NH venue has to be Valencia. SH good luck on that one as far as making anyone happy.

3. Judge said ASAP but no date required so ASAP it is or a couple of months before the race.

Translation maybe a little rough on the boats measurement but "correspond exactly to the boat measurements described in the notice of Challenge of July 2007, that is a boat 90 feet by 90 feet" is definitely not right. The boat can not exceed the NoC as per the Deed. That's all

Delay & more delays coming.........

 
At 4:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Circolo Vela Gargnano challenging us alongside the Golden Gate Yacht Club"....

Since when does the defender decide who challenge them?

I think Alinghi is a little away from reality.

 
At 5:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The GGYC must present its Customs Certificate as soon as possible or might be disqualified... "

Silly me... I thought the Court said "If the CHR does not conform to the challenge dimensions, it is this Court's belief, and my direction, that Golden Gate will be disqualified"...

Oh, reality, how far it is from Switzerland...

 
At 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LASTEST BREAKING NEWS
LASTEST BREAKING NEWS

ALINGHI'LL NOMINATE GENEVE AS 33AC VENUE.

IT'S ERNESTO'S RESOLUTION

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Norberto said...

to the 4:53 anonymous: they have been away from reality (and not by a little bit)for a very long time. from the finish of the last race of ac32, to be precise.

 
At 9:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The translation of the french text is a bit inaccurate, escpecially concerning the word "doit". In the context the correct translation is "should" and not "must".

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger Valencia Sailing said...

Reply to the last anonymous poster: In my opinion, if they meant "should" they would have used the word "devrait" and not "doit".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home