Kite Surfing World Record 2009
Last Wednesday Ben Morrison-Jack (33) and James Weight (34) entered the record books by kitesurfing across Bass Strait. Ben Morrison-Jack is a professional sailor having competed in the past three America's Cups and also holds a world speed record for transatlantic crossing.
Some facts on the world record crossing:
-Ben Morrison-Jack and James Weight left Cape Grim on North-West tip of Tasmania 7:05 Wednesday morning, the 9th of September 2009.
- The world records: First Bass Strait crossing on kite boards, fastest small craft crossing, most distance covered unassisted on kiteboard
- Wind: 15-28knts from 180-230
- Maximum speed: 20knts,
- Arrival app. 6:30pm at Apollo Bay
- Distance in a straight line: 129nm, Distance covered: 140nm
- Meteorologist: Roger "Clouds" Badham
- Support Boat: Grant Wharington (Wild Thing) and Graham Taylor