Three top threes send Emirates Team New Zealand to the top
[Source: AUDI Medcup] With a consistent scoreline across three races today (1-3-2), Emirates Team New Zealand now lead the Camper Regatta - Conde de Godó Trophy - Barcelona.
The reigning champions won the first race after leading round each mark, finished third in the second race and chased Quantum Racing (USA) across the finish line of the third contest for a second place.
After a morning postponement ashore waiting for sufficient breeze to build, the Garbi sea breeze offered two excellent races under clear skies and sunshine with up to 17 knots of breeze before the wind backed to the left for the third race of a long day on the water.
Quantum Racing and Emirates Team New Zealand (NZL) were best placed from the scrabble off the pin end of the line for the final race, fighting to get left. They were rewarded with first and second places as the 2008 champions held off the current Audi MedCup TP52 title holding Kiwis down the final run.
Quantum Racing's 11,1,1 ironically fits the description of the type of inconsistency which skipper-helm Terry Hutchison (USA) recently described them trying to avoid, dropping them to third overall in the event, behind Artemis. Paul Cayard steered the Swedish flagged boat to 5,2,4 for the day to hold second place one point ahead of Quantum Racing.
Yet another great day for the world's best monohull sailing team. Barcelona, 23 July 2010. Photo copyright Chris Cameron / Emirates Team NZ
TP52 Series - Day 3
1. Emirates Team New Zealand (NZL), 1+4+8+1+3+2= 19 points
2. Artemis (SWE), 7+2+4+5+2+4= 24
3. Quantum Racing (USA), 5+5+2+11+1+1= 25
4. Bribón (ESP), 3+3+7+7+5+11= 36
5. Cristabella (GBR), 2+1+11+9+6+9= 38
6. TeamOrigin (GBR), 10+6+3+3+9+7= 38
7. Synergy (RUS), 6+10+6+2+7+8= 39
8. Bigamist 7 (POR), 8+7+10+8+4+5= 42
9. Audi A1 powered by ALL4ONE (FRA/GER), 12(DNC)+8+5+4+8+6= 43
10. Matador (ARG), 4+9+9+10+10+3= 45
11. Luna Rossa (ITA), 9+11+1+6+11+10= 48