Announcement of the crew selected by Franck Cammas to participate in the Volvo Ocean Race aboard Groupama 4
[Source: Team Groupama] A year ago, just days before Groupama 3 was to set sail on her second attempt to conquer the Jules Verne Trophy, Groupama announced its participation in the next two editions of the Volvo Ocean Race with Franck Cammas.
"Our commitment to the Volvo Ocean Race until 2015 is an expression of our Group's approach to development, which has been strongly internationalised over the past 3 years, explained Jean Azéma, managing director of Groupama. We've chosen this Round the World race to promote our image and thus write a new page in our shared history, for the wider benefit of Franck Cammas and Groupama. Given its longevity on the circuit, its human dimension and its international course, the Volvo Ocean Race is synonymous with Groupama's values as a builder, humanist and something that is lasting."
Since November 2009, the Groupama Sailing Team has continued to become stronger, to work on the design of the future Groupama 4 as well as sail aboard Groupama 70, winner of the last edition of the crewed Round the World with stopovers, which went by the name of Ericsson 4.
For his part, the Groupama skipper has successively won the Jules Verne Trophy and the Route du Rhum aboard Groupama 3. His has been a packed schedule, but one which didn't prevent him from playing an active role in the selection of the crew, who will participate in the Volvo Ocean Race.
The sailors for the Volvo Ocean Race 2011-2012:
• Franck Cammas[FRA] Skipper
• Damian Foxall [IRL] Helmsman / trimmer and crew manager
• Philip Harmer [AUS] Helmsman / trimmer/ pitman and master sailmaker
• Magnus Woxén [SWE] Trimmer/ helmsman and mast consultant
• Jean-Luc Nélias [FRA] Navigator
• Charles Caudrelier [FRA] Helmsman / trimmer / navigator and in charge of performance
• Sébastien Josse [FRA] Trimmer / helmsman / on-board systems
• Yann Riou [FRA] Media Crew Member
• Jacques Caraës [FRA] Back-up media crew member
The under-thirty year olds:
• Martin Krite [SWE] Bowman and boat captain
• Brad Marsh [NZL] Bowman and in charge of the rigging
• Martin Strömberg [SWE] Trimmer / pitman and sailmaker
• Erwan Israël [FRA] Trimmer / helmsman / inshore manoeuvres and in charge of Safety
• Sébastien Marsset [FRA] Trimmer / pitman - deck hardware and safety