Wednesday, February 10, 2010

33rd America's Cup - Day 3 - Race 1: Live blogging

1:10 pm BMW Oracle skipper and helmsman is scheduled to talk to the press at 1:30pm in his team base. We will have the video right after the end of the press conference.

12:30 pm The day's only action involving sailing yachts. Alinghi's shore crew move Alinghi 5. In the background, one of Victory Challenge's ACC yachts is ready for action. In fact, a number of teams taking part in the Louis Vuitton circuit will come to Valencia in order to start training in view of the upcoming event in Auckland. One wonders to what extent their training schedule will be altered by the delay in the America's Cup.

The day's only action involving sailing yachts. Alinghi's shore crew move Alinghi 5. Valencia, 10 February 2010. Photo copyright Pierre Orphanidis / Valencia Sailing

12:00 pm The race committee cancels all racing for the day. The 33rd America's Cup 1st race is now scheduled for Friday.

10:50am The race committee is out on the water looking for good conditions to set a fair race course. Alinghi 5 is still docked in front of the base.

8:35am There has been further postponement. Race start will not happen before 1pm.

Labels: , ,

26 Comments:

At 10:56 AM, Blogger Gudi said...

Can anyone help out with a link to Virtual Eye?!

Thanks

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Christian said...

Wind was 26 km/h strong from ONO at 11h00 (local time) at the Valencia Airport. Increasing from 6km/h at 9.30h. I do hope we will have a race today.

Christian Février

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger WetHog said...

No racing on Monday because not enough wind. No racing today because the sea state was to choppy. Sad.

 
At 12:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

and the friday lack of wind again, hohoho, in Valencia of course!

 
At 12:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lets just do a dash for cash, see who can get to the pot first!

 
At 12:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does anybody really care anymore ?

 
At 12:33 PM, Anonymous Ugly Tom said...

According to Bruno Troublé's blog, there would be only 2 days of racing in January ...
What about the weather in Ras ? Ooooh, look ! 24 deg, 8-9 kn of wind ! How surprising is it !
Tom should pursue Ras for having such good weather for sailing... it's not fair at all !
Let's put all of these lawyers on one of these huge multihull today in Valencia and let's see what happens ...

 
At 12:46 PM, Anonymous Captain Morgan said...

You can talk about RAK all you want boys, but that was squarely Ernie's screw up.

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger shorethinglo said...

Slop and Chop out to and on the Racecourse! The challenges for Mark Set, Port Line, Change, Umpires. Safety, Security Boats. The Definition of Safe Wind and Sea States. The Ability Of the Race Committee to get Complete Race Off. Two Howling Owners! 2 Untested Monsters in such conditions. Wind and Wave God's pissed off. Okay.... We wait until Friday! Time to consider bagging those Rest Days! The Worst that can happen is the Winners Yacht Club may have to change the Celebration Party Date!!

 
At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Carmen San Carlos said...

So, if you are sailing in the Pacific or across the Atlantic...how do we go home?...why aren´t these guys just racing...the weather is irrelevant...lets get out there...
Are these guys ballerinas or sailors???

 
At 1:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

¿Alguien tiene prisa?
¿Nadie recuerda Perth o Auckland?

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger CityZen said...

Well Done, Well Done!
I am really looking forward to see when exactly there will be available the specific conditions to setup a 20mile course....And suppose there will be one day like that. When will we see the next?

 
At 2:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How was it a screw up, Cahn said "Valencia, or any other location". He didnt mention it had to be in the northern hemisphere, and if thats what he meant then as a judge you would expect him to say that.

Therefore RAK was perfectly valid, but Kornreich dismissed it for non-sailing reasons and the appeal court ruling was arbitrary, their use of logic could have swung it either way. In the end they may aswell have said we´re giving it to the americans because theyre american.

Alinghi also offered two alternatives which would have both provided better conditions than Valencia in winter, both these alternatives were turned down by Tom Ehman.

 
At 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carmen, the sailors are certainly not ballerinas. The majority of them have at least one Volvo Race behind them...the boats on the other hand.
Frankly this DOG match is doing no good for the sport of sailing in general. It is hard enough to get coverage from TV, and now the two most expensive Cup boats ever built are showing why!

 
At 2:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This boats need a windy swiming pool to race. Better put them racing virtual, while the people take some nice pictures of the boats on shore.

I bet that Friday will not be the day yet.

 
At 2:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To Ugly Tom said...

Well, BMW OERACLE would have raced today had there been a race.
What about ALINGHI?????

 
At 3:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo estaba convencido que hoy habría regata. Acaba de salir Pepe Ribes en canal 9 diciendo que las condiciones eran perfectas: 14 nudos y un poco de mar de fondo. ¿en que condiciones, entonces, se va a navegar??? No entiendo nada de lo que está pasando

 
At 3:23 PM, Anonymous Captain Morgan said...

Anon 2:03

Kornreich made a very well educated decision saying that Cahn's order must be read within the DOG. It's that simple and anyone should understand that. By the time SNG proposed any other deed legal location it was too late.

 
At 3:35 PM, Anonymous Ugly Tom said...

to 2:37 anon :
Who are you to speak in the name of BOR ? And have you any idea if Alinghi wouldn't have raced today ? Or is it just your personal feeling you share ?
I'm personnally not against BOR, but in this particular case I can only regret their decision not to go sailing in RAK.
Tom's living comes from his ability to read, understand and contest the rules that are written and unwritten. His interest is to bring as many cases to the court ... his workplace. From what I can see, Tom's case is not particular in US. But it deeply disgusts me. I've been watching AC in San Diego, Auckland and Valencia and really liked it. Not only watching but I used to work for a team involved in one of the AC. Now Tom's own interest makes the AC a non-event.
BTW : I still wonder why Alinghi lawyers cannot read properly the DOG ?! Anyway, as you probably understand : I definitely don't like lawyers.

 
At 6:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harol Bennett was told by Jimmy Spithill on the phone at 10.00 a.m. that USA 17 team and himself were ready to go.

What about the same question to Ernesto Bertarelli and his team?
Were they ready to go, or too much waves???

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Good call, lets not forget we already have an AC boat on the bottom off of San Diego. That boat broke in half and was just a lead dragging hole digger.

These boats this regatta require safe and fair condition to sail both races in.

The band is already booked for the party, see you in SF.

 
At 7:21 PM, Blogger WetHog said...

First, USA-17 trialed in waves and wind bigger than has been seen in Valencia since Monday. To say both boats were unable to handle the waves out there today is laughable.

Second, for those stating that Tom Ehman rejected this and Tom Ehman decided that, you folk need to remember that BMWO is Larry Ellison's team. For anyone to think any decision was made without his final say so is delusional.

Finally, Monday it was light and flat and Alinghi was ready to go, but BMWO wasn't. Today the wind and waves were up and BMWO was ready to go, but Alinghi wasn't. This is simply a continuation of the last 2+ years of little kid games played by both sides. At some point soon (We all hope) these two boats are going to have to race each other. May the best team win.

 
At 7:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not in Valencia, so my opinion is based on reports. I think it was a SHAME that today's race was cancelled. This is a totally open regatta, as far as rules and limits are concerned. So the teams have to chose which are the limits they will cross and which they will respect. Comes the race, if they brake ... to bad. Better luck next time. Boats break all the time in the races and it is not a big deal. It is very difficult to explain the cancellation of a race when there was 14 knots of wind. And please don't come with this "these boats are huge and we don't know, bla, bla, bla" If you don't know or are not sure, don't come racing. Get on with this incredibly stupid race and let's get back to the excitement of a multi challenge, close box, AC dispute, mono or multi hulls.

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Mark said...

The Race manager is obligated to run both of these races in conditions that do not advantage either yacht.

History is in the making; our sport will profit, what ever the outcome.

Shut up and watch.

 
At 4:10 AM, Blogger shorethinglo said...

The facts are the facts! The door is closing and the Race Comm.are going to modify and twist the rules to pull off a race by two boats.Owners become secondary and the Racing Team Members of Team Alinghi and Team USA(BMW- Oracle) will put Balls to the Wall. As frustrated as I am with this whole
non-event the fact is there are two teams(minus owners) willing to kick it into gear to go Head To Head. Harold will start or run nothing less then Fair Matches. Step aside EB and LE, work toward letting this play out. For the Optimist Sailors, I agree you play in far worst, BUT, The height over water and the Forces are just a tad different!Cancel the DAY OFF! Take control and take it to the limits and above. I am looking forward to Technology to Amaze Me!

 
At 6:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The Race manager is obligated to run both of these races in conditions that do not advantage either yacht."

REALLY? And why would that be the case?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home